Sunday, January 25, 2009

What new mystery is this?

What causes the heart to seek adventure? Why, despite the modern, comfort-seeking culture that we live in, do some of us find ourselves yearning for that which lies beyond the borders of our own immediate experience. We approach these ambitions with the knowledge that they may very well lead to discomfort, or even danger. However, we pursue them all the same, sometimes even more fervently in the face of this realization. Is it a result of a discontented nature that we have developed with the current predictable lifestyle that American society dictates as successful or prudent? Perhaps it is a revolution within some, who, turning from the trend towards modernity and stability, strive to return to a simpler, more naturally bound existence.
I have come to understand that my desires to this effect stem from an intense desire to experience whatever I can while I can. I feel an obligation to never accept mediocrity as the correct order of things, but rather to embrace every challenge and make the most of any opportunity given to me. Anyone can just coast safely through life and achieve what any other could have with half a measure of ambition and no challenges to the contrary in their position. I feel that, given such vast opportunity for pursuits in raw experiences as is present in my condition, it would be an absolute wasteful shame to take a backseat approach to this life that I have been granted.
I suppose that when seriously asked why I constantly seek enterprise and unique experiences, my explainable reasons would be fairly simple. 1. I hope to find a way to grow closer to those who are willing to pursue adventure with me. 2. I want to have stories of my own to tell my children and inspire dreams within them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad there's someone out there that actually takes risks and lives. Adventure, the way you describe it, has always been appealing to me, yet in the past I've rarely encountered such opportunities in our regulated society. Please, spread your wings and bring on your back those that can't fly on their own.

    ReplyDelete