Monday, October 3, 2016

been busy

I have an expansive variety of pet peeves.  I fully realize and accept that this is a personal issue and not an indictment on society at large.  However, one of the most prominent social grievances, particularly in recent years, is the response to the common question "How have you been?" in any of the following forms:
"Oh man, really busy."
"Just working, ya know."

To frankly sum up my issue with these responses - while they may be entirely accurate, they serve as an absolute conversation killer and offer nothing engaging to the person initiating the question.
Everyone works, and everyone has activity that occupies their time.  I've made strides over the past few years to have readily available answers to this question so that I can offer continuity in the conversation, if it is so desired.  I want to present myself as someone who has the time to properly catch up with people, and not as someone who is overly occupied.


No comments:

Post a Comment