Monday, September 15, 2014

GOATs

In a portion of the tennis-fan world, the term GOAT is frequently used as a moniker for the longer phrase "greatest of all time".

I think this is hilarious.




Let me talk about my friends for a moment.
My friends are GOAT.

See years-ago post:
http://thehorsereformation.blogspot.com/2010/03/bro-time.html

I have the privilege of calling some of the most respectable men and women I've ever met friends.
Each of them have unique and admirable qualities, and I count myself lucky to have the influence of their companionship.



My family is GOAT.
I'm proud of them, and feel lucky to have been born in to a group of people that provide such unwaivering love and support.



I bring all of this up because I have been thinking on why it is that I have found myself sticking around the North Carolina piedmont for the foreseeable future.  It certainly is not what was expected, neither by myself nor those who know me well. 
Admittedly, I much prefer the idea of Alaska, Colorado, western NC - places like that.

It is because that which I value most, the relationships I am building with my friends and family, have become much more important to me than I could have understood years ago. 

A buddy of mine said recently that he was taking stock of what he held as most valuable and putting more effort towards those things.  Subsequently, he was going to focus less on that which he viewed as frivolous, and maximize opportunity to spend time with those who enrich his life.

I can get behind that.

At this particular point in time, my desire to foster relationships and enjoy the company of those I care most about outweighs any desire for adventure and dedicated autonomy. 


When circumstances should serve to change this, I'll be thankful for the time that I have had.

For right now, my priorities are with my people.

No comments:

Post a Comment