Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hello everyone.

I haven't posted anything in quite sometime, so here's a quick update before we proceed:
-I'm doing well.
-My family seems to be well.
-I tore my ankle up a few weeks ago and it hasn't been the same since. I never realized how much I was taking mobility for granted. Not being able to run is slowly killing me.
-I'm ready to be out of college. Don't get me wrong, it has been a great experience, but I think it's about time to move on.
-Christmas is fast approaching!

Well, now that we're caught up.

I was heavily considering the lyrics of some of the better known contemporary praise-and-worship songs available today. This left a lot of questions.
Allow me to better explain.
Recently, and for the first time in my life, I tried to earnestly pursue a girl.
I really botched it up.
It was a learning experience, to be sure. More pointedly, the situation caused me to become unsure of myself. I lost confidence in who I was and what I was doing.
Today: This evening marked the conclusion of what I would consider to be a very poor day. A concentration of unfortunate things seemed to occur within close proximity of one another, setting me in a dour mood.
My point is this: we sit in church and sing "Your Grace is enough", but how far does that Truth really take us?
If I'm being honest with myself, the lyrics should read like this: "I would feel much more comfortable with the thought of Your Grace being enough if you would allow things to happen according to my desires and in my preferred time frame."
"Open the eyes of my heart, Lord, as long as it only shows me things that I want to see."
Doesn't really flow.
If I can let one wayward situation or unpleasant day shake the core of my being, then how satisfied in Him can I really claim to be?
This line of thinking draws me to the story of Joseph in Genesis. You have to believe that Joseph, being left for dead and sold into slavery for a number of years (as well as being human), at some point began to wonder where God's will could be found in his situation and where he might have strayed off of the path. However, by the end of the story we come to find out that this was the way by which God raised Joseph up to be, essentially, the Prime Minister of Egypt and put him in a position to save many people from famine.
During this process Joseph's brothers come to him and ask Joseph if he is going to kill them for what they had done to him. Joseph would have been well within his power in doing so, but instead he responds with this tremendous line that can be paraphrased as: "I'm not going to kill you because the very thing that you meant for harm, God meant for good."
God's plan is not always efficiency. This is frustrating. This is comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment