Monday, August 2, 2010

Note: this was written on July 3. Thank you.


And so, ladies and gentlemen, we've come to the 234th anniversary of our country being declared an independent nation.
I know that there are a lot of problems within the infrastructure of this great nation. I am also aware that there is sentiment aplenty worldwide that we are handling our business all wrong.


Let me tell you why I love America.

I love the Southeast. I love boiled peanuts. I love the Appalachian mountains. I love looking at pictures of places out west that I have never been to, but would like to see. I love fishing. I love Ford trucks (particularly mine). I love the freedoms that we enjoy and the people that fight to protect them. I love being able to walk down to a Hardee's and have a cup of coffee on any given morning. I love the gift of an accessible education. I love grilling Sunday dinner with my dad on our back porch. I love a well-stocked hardware store. I love the smell of apple pie and peach cobbler. I love a good Arnold Palmer (both the drink and the man). I love sitting in a rocking chair and watching the sun set. I love Levi's bluejeans. I love waking up early Saturday mornings to eat cereal and watch cartoons. I love sports. I love dressing up for church, then hurrying home after service to get into some real clothes. I love barbecue.
I love that anyone on any given day possess the inalienable right to disagree with anything that I say.

I know we have our problems, but this is still the greatest country on the face of the earth.

It is, and will always be, my home.

2 comments:

  1. Bravo. This is everything i felt when i saw the USA soccer team standing arm in arm, listening to "the rockets' red glare" and wondered what the Englishmen not ten feet away must have been thinking; it embodies each reflection of fireworks on the lake back home, even if i never see them again; and i think it captures the heart of what true patriotism and nationalism is about: passionate, and yet not blinded; fervent, but never bigoted. We have fought others and won; we have fought ourselves and come through stronger; but if we continue to fight God, then these pictures of the country i love will be but passing memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your reasons for why you love America. And since ya like barbecue make sure you try Lexington bbq, it's the best!

    ReplyDelete