Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mom's emails

Philippians 4:4-7 "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

These are the two verses that my mom sent to me in an email yesterday.
Every day she takes verses and lessons from her morning Bible study and attempts to share them with me. My usual course of action is to browse over them out of a sense of obligation, and I'll say I'm not proud of that fact.
However, the message of these two verses got stuck in my head for the better part of a day. I've read them each at least one hundred times, and I felt like they had never really meant anything to me beyond the superficial Sunday school application that I had attached to them. I guess it was this realization that lead me to really understand the problem.
Allow me to ramble:
I had a thought the other day: "If someone were to ask me what the most important thing in my life is, what would I say?" My immediate response: My relationship with Christ/trying to grow daily as a man of God.

Really?

I asked myself that question in the shower before I went to CRU. It was the first time that I had been to CRU in months, and I almost ended up not going because I would have rather gone to the gym. Or to Hardee's. The last time I had sat down for a Bible study was buried in ancient sands. The last time that I had prayed over something that didn't involve food was also in the foggy distance. Why?
I realized that I had completely let go of any meaningful connection that I had with the Holy Spirit. I was living life as I wanted and sort of floating through without any real purpose. That's not the way that I was designed to live. I know that my problems by a global standard are about as minor as you can get. However, I have reached a point of uncertainty in many regards. I'm not certain about my current educational situation. I'm uncertain about my job and housing situation next year. I'm uncertain about my long-term goals; career, family, or otherwise.
The problem is that I was trying to rely on myself to lead myself in the direction that myself thought was best. There are too many myselfs in that equation for success to be the result. I am weak, even by human standards. I'm also tired. I can't do it alone and I shouldn't try to.
That is what these two verses are explaining. Ask the Lord and he will provide you with the strength, understanding, and peace that you need to get through the trials. He wants you to connect with Him and trust Him. He doesn't want to trick you or somehow hold you back from fulfilling your potential. Quite the contrary.
That's what I've been missing lately. It has not even been in the back of my mind recently. His will and His purpose for me have taken a serious backseat to my own interests and priorities. When I really analyze it, I don't particularly care for that notion. I've been guilty of pride and placing my desires and plans at the top of the pedestal, without trusting that God knows what's best and is preparing me for what the future may hold.
I'm done with that. Lead me.

No comments:

Post a Comment